Visit Jordan with MWNF
Thematic Travel Books
MWNF Travel | User Survey Questionnaire
Hegira, early 2nd century / AD mid-8th century, Umayyad
Located 38 km south of Amman, Qasr al-Mushatta is a square structure (144 m x 144 m) with a central courtyard that was probably commissioned by al-Walid II. The complex was built with limestone and red brick and included a mosque, but it was never completed. The fine stone carving at the exterior southern wall, part of which was taken to Germany in 1904 and is on display at the Museum of Islamic Art at the Pergamon Museum in Berlin, has naturalistic vine scrolls with animal and human figures that were replaced by floral motifs in the part corresponding to the mosque.