Fatimid princesses endowed palaces and religious institutions throughout the realm. In Cairo we know that a hall in the Western Palace was designated to Sitt al-Mulk, the sister of Caliph
al-Hakim, and that it was lined with carved wooden panelling embellished with scenes of court life and hunting. Sayyida Ulam al-Ameriyya, the wife of the caliph
, al-Amir bi-Ahkam Allah (r. 495–524 / 1101–30) constructed an ornamental shrine for the venerated Sayyida Ruqayya, daughter of the Imam
Abi Talib, the fourth Righteously Guided Caliph
It was decorated with kufic calligraphy
commemorating her patronage. The shrine was furnished with a magnificent wooden pulpit constructed out of qaru and Indian teak.