Mosque and Palace
‘A new capital al-Qahira was built, enclosed by a city wall with eight gates.’
After General Jawhar had conquered Egypt for the caliph al-Mu‘izz in 358 / 969, a new capital al-Qahira (‘The Victorious’) was built, enclosed by a city wall with eight gates. Typically, the caliph’s imposing palatial complex, known as al-Sharqi or the Eastern Palace, lay at the very heart of the new capital, Cairo, and covered more than 17 acres, one-fifth of the entire city. Later, the so-called Western Palace was built opposite, and a public square was laid out between the two. Little remains or is known of these palaces, but historical sources mention that there were burial areas for Fatimid royals within the complex, a fact that would have enhanced the air of sanctity surrounding the caliphate. Fatimid-inspired palaces sprang up as far afield as Sicily, and continued to inspire royal architecture there until well after the Norman conquest.
Bab al-Futuh

Hegira 480 / AD 1087
Cairo, Egypt
Bab al-Futuh (Gate of Conquest) is one of the north entrances into the old Fatimid city of Cairo. The wall was built to enclose the spiritual beacons of the capital: the caliphate palace, the Mosque of al-Azhar and the Mosque of al-Hakim bi Amrillah.